We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Commercial 1st Line Risk Manager to join our Commercial and Marketing team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex, or Salford Quays, Manchester.
You'll monitor and evaluate risk exposure across the Commercial and Marketing function, and provide Senior leadership across the Commercial and Marketing department with accurate and timely management information with onward reporting to appropriate governance committee.
To be successful in this role, you'll need to:
- Have demonstrable Risk Management experience at an appropriate level
- Have specialist technical knowledge of risk management techniques
- Be resilient to challenge from senior levels whilst building and maintaining relationships
- Preparation, review and submission of monthly, quarterly and annual risk reports for the C&M leadership
- Supporting the annual attestation programme of work for core processes, providing 1st line challenge to the core process owners
- Provide specialist Risk Management support and challenge to the Commercial and Marketing function leading to the identification and assessment of risks and risk controls across the function, required to meet strategic goals.
- To coordinate the delivery of control actions across the department working with the Chief Commercial Officer to ensure controls are effective and actions delivered in line with target actions
- Lead on coordinating the resolution of any breach/potential breach with the appropriate members of the Commercial and Marketing function
- Lead on the assessment and continuous improvement of resilience plans across the function (both in-sourced and outsourced)
- Lead on the update of core policies working with the appropriate policy owner to ensure consistency in quality and standard
- Serve as primary point of contact for questions relating to the Risk Management System for the Commercial and Marketing Leadership team
- Coordinate and oversee the delivery of actions associated with of 2nd and 3rd line risk reviews
- Raise awareness of the benefits of effective Risk Management throughout the function
- Maintenance of the Risk Register and Risk Mitigation Action Log for FCIM related risks
- Develop and maintain suitable Key Control Indicators, regularly reviewing risk controls for suitability and effectiveness.
- Work with the 2nd line functions to ensure best practice is employed across the group
Job Specific Competencies:
- Demonstrable Risk Management and experience at an appropriate level
- Project management experience
- Experienced in building relationships with senior management
- Influencing and networking with senior people to achieve consensus and collaboration
- Evidence of proven career track record and consistent record of achievement
- Specialist technical knowledge of risk management techniques
- Personal impact in business and technical discussions at all levels
- Resilient to challenge from senior levels whilst building and maintaining relationships
- Capacity and credibility to assess risk MI and where appropriate recommend/negotiate the continuance/closedown of business decisions
- Specialist, current and in depth technical knowledge of at least one specific area relevant to the business
- Broad commercial and strategic awareness
- Sound, high level planning skills
- Knowledge of best practice in risk, business continuity and corporate governance
- Relationship building skills
- Negotiation and conflict management
- Able to understand and resolve the most technically complex issues within areas under review
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding of the key factors influencing the business, internally and externally
- Has the capacity to think across a range of business functions and systems
- Solid understanding of FCA rules, regulations, principles and codes of practice
- Up-to-date knowledge of trends in the insurance industry relevant to Risk Management and Corporate Governance requirements
- Good understanding of the UK business drivers and strategy
- Develops and utilises a network of senior contacts, providing advice on risk across the organisation
- Effective at influencing own manager, colleagues and business management
- Gains co-operation and support by clear explanation of facts and issues
- Able to deal with any business concerns or relationship issues
- Presents a positive, confident and professional image of self and FCIM through attitude, approach and appearance
- Actively participates in business initiatives and project teams
- Regularly strives to exceed objectives
- Delivers quality products consistently against agreed targets, timescales and budgets
- Demonstrates persistence, resilience and tolerance for stress in the face of obstacles
- Takes responsibility for own actions, performance and development
- Demonstrates regular and effective use of subject matter knowledge, both as a user and as a provider
- Generates ideas and solutions and uses them to solve problems
- Seeks to challenge and improve current processes and approaches
- Works with a high degree of autonomy within agreed parameters
- Confident in handling and managing change
- Identifies ways in which the business can improve and raises suggestions appropriately
- Demonstrates the courage to take decisions up to the maximum level of their authority, balancing short and long term needs
- Logical and systematic approach to analysis of symptoms and causes, identifying key issues, underlying trends and interrelationships
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
Are you the person we’re looking for? If so, we look forward to hearing from you. Apply today!
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working during the recruitment process .