We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
Fancy a new career in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace? If so, this could be your lucky day! We’re looking for a Group Accountant to join our Finance team in our Haywards Heath, West Sussex office (hybrid, 1 day office / 4 days from home) on a Fixed Term Contract to 31st March 2023.
You'll support the development and execution of the Group financial and regulatory accounting shared service function for the group and its subsidiaries. With accountability for the balance sheet reconciliations, schedules and notes, you'll ensure the monthly and annual accounts represent a true and fair view of the business performance.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- hold an Accountancy Qualification, such as CIMA, ACCA or ACA
- have proven experience in a group accounting function or audit experience across multiple tax jurisdictions
- have strong analytical skills and ability to drive process improvement, based upon analysis of data
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations, scheduled and notes to ensure appropriate financial risk management through proportionate controls and oversight of the Group and its subsidiaries
- Perform analytical review of balance sheet items to ensure business performance is appropriately reflected in the Group and subsidiaries financial statements
- Preparation and maintenance of monthly accruals and prepayments
- Preparation and monitoring effectiveness of accounting provisions and deferrals, including but not limited to insurance specific items
- Preparation of monthly management accounts for P&L, balance sheet and cash flows including month on month movement commentary on key movements
- Drafting annual financial reporting including business reviews, statement notes and preparation of primary financial statements
- Investigation of reconciliation deficiencies, ensuring appropriate escalation and business engagement is achieved
- Preparation of Statutory Financial Statements for the Groups subsidiaries
- Assist the Group auditors to ensure that the year-end audit process runs smoothly
- Maintain excellent working knowledge of applicable UK GAAP accounting policies
- Preparation of accounting memos and discussion papers relating to the commercial and operating activity of the
- Adherence to the Group accounting policies
- Support activities in other finance teams as required
- Ensure second line financial reconciliation activities are both efficient and effective with FCG
- Conduct colleague management duties including:
- Delivering coaching and feedback to direct reports to achieve KPI’s and SLA’s, and conducting regular performance reviews, including probationary reviews and annual appraisals as necessary.
- Deal with all colleague issues including monitoring absence and conducting disciplinaries
- Assist the recruitment process where necessary.
- Maintain department risk registers (as applicable), providing evidence and commentary for controls, updates for Mitigation Actions and maintaining control matrices and attestations. Also, to ensure that your team are aware of their responsibility to identify and report risk.
- Comply with the requirements, and act in accordance with, the Group Code of Conduct and Fitness and Propriety policies at all times
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations at all times
Experience, Skills & Qualifications
- Previous experience in a regulated group, financial services (desirable)
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Good time management and organisation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications
- Strong mathematical, analytical, communication, and organization skills
- Work effectively under pressure and think clearly and logically in challenging situations
- Results driven with a constant eye on the detail but understand the audience.
- Empathetic approach to leadership with an ability to get the best out of a wide range of stakeholders.
- A driven attitude to deliver controlled change and rapidly overcome obstacles.
- An agile approach to project management and able to rapidly react to changes in business priorities to take advantage of emerging business and customer opportunities.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- An organised and proactive approach
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- A flexible approach and positive attitude
- Strives to drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.