We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We’re looking for someone to join our Technology and Data team as a Data Governance Consultant in either Haywards Heath, West Sussex, Salford Quays, Manchester or based remotely, with occasional travel to our offices.
As the Data Governance Consultant you will help embed the groupwide approach to robust yet pragmatic data governance across First Central Group, ensuring that colleagues across our business treat data as a valuable asset and that as a business we treat data responsibly and ethically, to turn Data Governance policies and standards into easily digestible information to guide colleagues across the group. Critically you will be able to bring the importance of effective Data Governance to life for all colleagues through engaging storytelling and by adopting a practical, pragmatic approach contextualised to the business needs. You will help empower colleagues at all levels to drive benefit from data in a safe, responsible and ethical way whilst maintaining appropriate freedom to innovate and experiment and will identify new ways of embedding a strong Data Governance culture, driving enhanced processes and behaviours, to continually improve the maturity of our Data Governance framework.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Have a collaborative style and ability to build relationships with stakeholders from a diverse range of disciplines.
- Possess proven experience of embedding data controls by turning robust control frameworks into engaging, easily digestible information to guide colleagues.
- Be able to bring the importance of effective Data Governance to life through storytelling.
- Be happy taking responsibility for delivery and working in a fast-paced organisation where change is a constant.
- Support the delivery of the Data Governance Strategy (including Data Classification, Data Security, Retention, Access Control and monitoring) to enable the achievement of overall business ambitions and outcomes.
- Work with colleagues across the business to regularly undertake Data Governance maturity assessments.
- Aid in the identification and mitigation of all key data risks, working effectively with the Data Protection, IT Security, Risk, Data Architecture and Data Management functions.
- Help to drive a culture of Data Governance by design, effectively engaging and partnering with colleagues across the business, enabling data innovation whilst ensuring auditability.
- Aid in the facilitation of the Data Governance Council and the production of KPIs, including updates from other key data functions such as data quality and metadata management.
- Promote a culture of agile working, accountability, continuous improvement and psychological safety within the team and across the business.
- Identify engaging mechanisms to communicate key Data Governance themes effectively to colleagues across the business.
- Any other reasonable duties.
Experience & knowledge:
- Experience in conducting enterprise-wide maturity assessments.
- Experience of developing data governance roadmaps, with an evidenced background of effective adoption into business processes.
- Good understanding of all aspects of data governance, including Data Classification, Data Security, Retention, Access Control and monitoring.
- Experience of taking complex information and translating into easily digestible information for less technical colleagues.
- Experience of building strong mutually beneficial relationships across a business.
- Experience of supporting cultural change in the way data is used and governed in businesses.
- Some understanding of Data Quality and Metadata Management capabilities would be advantageous.
- Experience of General Insurance practices and processes would be advantageous.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Pragmatic and Practical with ability to tailor principles and standards to appropriate situations and audiences in an engaging way.
- Strong communication, for example conveying information to diverse audiences in a way that is easily understood and actionable.
- Creative thinking, for example framing new ways of thinking about data governance to drive adoption.
- Collaboration, for example driving group discussions to consider and agree current maturity scores with business and technical colleagues.
- Relationship management, for example creating relationships and building trust with internal and external stakeholders quickly.
- Storytelling, for example by creating a consistent storyline for better understanding and engaging with data governance topics.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.