We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
Are you looking for a new career with a fast-growing, dynamic company? Well look no further ! We need an IT Governance Manager to join our Technology and Data team in either Haywards Heath, West Sussex, Salford Quays, Manchester or our offices in Guernsey.
As the IT Governance Manager you will need to stay sharp and inventive, we need to continually make sure we keep tight, fundamental control of all our technology; good governance is crucial. IT Governance is not a tick box exercise but an agile and dynamic way of embedding engineering practices and controls into how we design, build, and run our services. The goal of the IT Governance Manager is to help increase confidence while also improving work processes and efficiency and enabling the wider technology department to deliver value to our customers.
To do this, the IT Governance Manager is responsible for the implementation of a proportionate, risk-based IT Governance framework across Technology & Data to successfully reduce risk, in line with appropriate risk appetite parameters agreed with the business. To further support our business growth we are looking to strengthen our IT Governance team. This is fantastic opportunity to join an expanding team and make a real difference in the way we govern and assist the technology and data teams in achieving their objectives.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- A technical background, ideally with Agile experience.
- Experience in IT Governance and a passion to achieve balanced, risk-based governance outcomes.
- A drive to constantly implement incremental improvements and increase maturity across the governance of technology and data.
- Taking a proactive approach to IT Governance activities across the Technology and Data pillar, including areas of product design & development, engineering, operations, and technology services.
- Undertaking targeted assessments of existing practices and controls in areas of quality assurance, risk, and standards, to report on gaps and agree remediation activities.
- Regularly speaking to product development teams to help to support, steer and provide assurance early and often.
- Supporting technology teams to build simple, supportive governance that trusts individuals and empowers teams so they can focus on delivering better products and services.
- Helping to continually develop the maturity of the IT Governance function and improve the delivery of IT Governance services.
- Understand the business and Technology & Data risk context, proactively work with teams to develop architectures and countermeasures which mitigate risks to an acceptable level.
- Engage with internal and external Audit, Risk and Compliance to deliver FCG’s governance expectations across the Technology & Data pillar.
- Co-ordination of External and Internal audits and reviews across the Technology & Data Pillar and provide oversight on the completion of remediation activities.
- Provide guidance, support, and assistance to the business on IT Governance requirements and best practice. Act as a SME on IT Governance, utilising external specialists as required.
- Monitor changes to frameworks and control governance processes to keep First Central aligned with any changes to best practice.
- Monitor relevant regulatory (eg FCA) and contractual requirements with regard IT Governance and highlight gaps as required.
- Create and maintain IT Governance documentation and records, including risk registers, policies, and standards, in line with best practice.
- Develop and produce regular IT Governance reporting & KPIs.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
Experience & knowledge
- Strong experience of working in a related technology profession, for example Architecture, Delivery Management, Design, Infrastructure & Platform Engineering, IT Operations, QA & Testing, or Software Engineering.
- Experience of working in a complex technical environment, with hands on experience of building, running, or managing enterprise level technology capabilities and services.
- Experience of delivering outcomes within a data driven and agile change environment, or experience with automation and DevOps ways of working would be highly desirable.
- Wide experience of implementing or doing IT Governance, including IT Risk management, IT Governance frameworks, compliance, and assurance activities.
- Knowledge of industry frameworks for IT governance, quality management, and capability maturity, eg COBIT, ISO9000, CMMI etc.
- Proven track record of analysing frameworks, practices, and controls to identify gaps in existing environments, providing recommendations, and managing remedial actions.
Skills and Qualifications
- Qualifications in ISO9000 quality management systems, CMMi, and CGEIT, or equivalent experience, is highly desirable.
- BCS Agile Practitioner or equivalent experience is highly desirable.
- Computer Science or related degree would be desirable.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to influence key decision makers internally.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Interested in finding things out, and willingness to go and see for yourself.
- Caring about helping to deliver faster, safer, and better services for users.
- Able to demonstrate 2nd Line of Defence thinking and behaviours.
- Willingness to continually develop and learn new technical skills and soft skills.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with the desire to meet or exceed targets.
- An organised and pro-active approach to IT Governance and Risk Management.
- A flexible approach and positive attitude.
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strives to drive business improvements to contribute to the success of the business.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.