We’re offering a great opportunity to join and grow a brand-new function. Do you fancy a new career in a fast-paced and dynamic workplace? If so, this could be your lucky day! We’re looking for a Data Operations Engineering Lead to join our Technology team in Salford Quays, Manchester, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, or our offices in Guernsey.
As a member of the Data Operations function, you’ll support the data warehouse requirements of the organisation. The role that the Data Operations Engineering Lead plays is highly collaborative and, as such, works closely with data analysts, data scientists and other data consumers within the business in an attempt to gather and populate data warehouse table structure, which is optimised for reporting. You’ll be responsible for the day to day delivery and long-term strategy of the teams, ensuring strategic change and BAU change is delivered on time and cost, engaging with Development, Architecture, Data Change, IT Ops, business teams and senior stakeholders.
Working closely with engineering resources, you’ll ensure enterprise data warehouse solutions and assets are actionable, accessible and evolving in lockstep with the needs of the ever-changing business model.
In addition to this, you’ll lead in the areas of solution design, code development, quality assurance, data modelling, business intelligence, cross-team communication, project management, and application maintenance. You’ll ensure the Company’s operational data systems and platforms are highly available, resilient, scalable, secure and performant and delivered in line with business demand and to agreed service levels.
You’ll also maximise the value of our technology estate, operating best practice processes to ensure they remain current, secure and fit for purpose, ensuring SLAs and KPIs are met, while ensuring the business receives a high level of service and platforms remain operational.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Be experienced in Agile environment with a deep experience/understanding of all elements of data engineering (extract/transform/load) and elements of data management
- Have managerial or lead experience running teams
- Business Intelligence experience with proven data warehousing, data management and analytics skills
- Extensively familiar with ETL (Extraction, Transformation & Load), data warehousing, and business intelligence tool, experience with Scripting - Python preferred
Skills, knowledge & experience
- Partner with business and data analysts to design, develop and maintain data pipelines, data governance compliance, procedures and tooling to support data warehousing
- Day to day support of the data warehouse and troubleshoots existing procedures and process
- Define and promote the department’s best practices and design principles for data warehousing techniques and architecture
- Assist in the development of business intelligence, business data standards and processes
- Guide the business in identifying any new data needs and deliver mechanisms for acquiring and reporting such information as well as addressing the actual needs
- Create and support the ETL in order to facilitate the accommodation of data into the warehouse
- Design and develop systems for the maintenance of the business’s data warehouse, ETL processes and business intelligence
- Analyse all data from sources and develop logical models for various business intelligence sources
- Monitor all data integrity performance and adopt appropriate tools
- Coordinate with analytical team and collect all technical requirements
- Participate in designing system data models, data integrations and automated data management solutions
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree is desirable, or relevant experience
- Deep experience/understanding of all elements of data engineering (extract/transform/load)
- Significant experience in Business Intelligence experience with proven data warehousing, data management and analytics skills
- Demonstrable experience of delivering highly scalable data platforms
What can we do for you?
- Expertise leading data warehousing strategy and implementation
- Experience gathering requirements and understanding the needs of diverse stakeholders
- Strong experience in SQL including SQL server integration services or any similar ETL tools
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of dimensional modelling as well as other data warehousing techniques
- Extensively familiar with ETL (Extraction, Transformation & Load), data warehousing and business intelligence tools
- Experience with scheduling applications with complex interdependencies
- Familiarity with complex data lake environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytic skills
- Strong stakeholder management
- Deep experience/understanding for CD/CI process
- Processes, tools and techniques used to deliver highly available, performance and scalable platforms and systems to distributed customer and user communities
- Strong understanding of data system architectures including storage, compute (including analytics and machine learning)
- Proven time management and organisation skills (must be able to prioritise workload and meet deadlines)
- Experience in a Financial Services/Insurance environment, insurance products, insurance distribution channels, claims handling, technology, data sources and databases and the wider motor insurance industry
- Good understanding of regulatory requirements specific to the Company and the functions under control
- Knowledge of database design and modelling in the context of data warehousing
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
If you’d like to work for an award-winning employer in a fast-paced environment, apply now!
Want to know what it’s really like to work at First Central? Take a look
at our Glassdoor reviews.