We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Underwriter to join our Underwriting team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex or Salford Quays, Manchester.
The Underwriting & Assurance Team are tasked with using analytics and insight to drive the ongoing optimization of the FCG underwriting footprint, monitoring of underwriting and pricing performance to support the delivery of profit and volume targets for the business, as well as owning FCG’s Underwriting Control Framework and ensuring regulatory compliance for the FCG Pricing and UW functions.
The role of the Technical Underwriter is to be the subject matter expert providing UW, Regulatory, and TCF input and guidance into the analytical work of the team and own, review, and update FCG’s UW control framework, Technical Policy Wordings, and other product management documentation
- Provide technical underwriting input to the analytical/project work of the UW and Assurance Team and wider pricing department, ensuring regulatory compliance, TCF, and traditional UW principles are considered and where appropriate enforced
- Develop and maintain detailed knowledge of emerging trends/technologies/available data within the market, providing consult and input into project work of the team and wider Pricing and UW department when required
- Develop and maintain knowledge of and advise on upcoming, potential, and historic regulatory changes impacting the UW of the insurance market
- Develop and maintain relevant internal relationships pertaining to the above – eg Counter Fraud, Claims etc
- Develop and maintain relevant relationships with relevant third parties pertaining to the above.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders across the business, providing consult, and where required, input to projects requiring Underwriting representation.
- Build and maintain a log of FCGs Underwriting Criteria using this as a basis for ongoing scheduled review of static UW criteria.
- Review and Update FCGs Underwriting control framework for Pricing and UW changes.
- Review, maintain, and suggest improvements to policy wording for FCG insurance products
- Minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant field
- A good level of experience working in a relevant Technical UW or Product Management role
Skills and Behaviours:
- In depth knowledge of the Insurance Market
- Good knowledge of general insurance pricing techniques and data sources used.
- Good knowledge of motor insurance products and the motor insurance industry
- Broad knowledge and awareness of the regulatory environment pertaining to Pricing and UW
- Strong commercial acumen
What can we do for you?
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to adopt a logical approach to solving problems
- Strong IT skills (including Excel and ideally programming skills)
- Strong ability to interpret technical documents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written to a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Proven ability to produce outstanding results based on own initiative
- Logical thinker with solid reasoning ability
- Commercially focused
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- Quick learner
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- An organised and pro-active approach
- Aligned to the values of Ambition; Agility; Ownership; Collaboration
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
If you’d like to work for an award-winning employer in a fast-paced environment, apply now!
Want to know what it’s really like to work at First Central? Take a look
at our Glassdoor reviews.