We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We’re on the hunt for a talented Project Delivery Manager to join our Business Services team either working remotely or based in our Salford Quays, Manchester or Haywards Heath, West Sussex offices.
In this role you will lead the Group’s Project Management (PM) Practice. Setting PM standards and frameworks, incorporating Agile principles, driving continuous improvement, and ensuring alignment with best practice and the Groups Change Delivery Framework.
You will empower a high-quality PM capability to deliver a dynamic, fast paced change portfolio and assuring a level of sophistication to meet future business needs and ‘North Star’ metrics. Contribute to portfolio delivery plans, including annual planning activity, Quarterly Business Review (QBR) readiness and monitoring alignment to stated business objectives.
You will also assume line management responsibility for ~6 direct reports comprised of Senior Project Manager and Project Manager colleagues, including the provision of effective developmental and performance management enhancing individual value-add and that of the broader capability.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Highly developed leadership, communication, and people skills
- Demonstrable experience of developing, and optimising, a project management capability in agile delivery environments
- Experience of leading sustained, practical, continuous improvement activity within a change delivery framework - i.e. working in the system, and on the system
- Be an effective leader, provide strong developmental support and effective performance management across the PM function, ensuring the practice is optimized for delivery in a fast-paced, agile change environment aligned to SAFe best practice and principles, and the First Central Change Delivery Framework (CDF)
- Lead on setting the standard policies and practices for the PM Team, which align and reinforce Business Agility
- Ensure these standards are adhered to through Peer Review and Process Confirmation
- Define the competencies which underpin PM practices and apply situational leadership for each PM. Demonstrate improvement through the PM skills and knowledge matrix
- Define measurable outcomes for standard practices, track measures and lead on ensuring a full test & learn cycle is completed i.e., Plan, Do, Check, Act (PDCA) and that continuous improvement is native to how the PM practice operates
- Partner with the BA Practice Manager, Senior Business Analysts and Agile Coach’s to ensure systems are in place to capture and prioritize impediments to flow
- Coordinate project delivery activity on strategically important programmes of work, setting the delivery approach, defining scope, shaping, and allocating work packages as well as assuring the quality of PM delivery activities and deliverables.
- Coach PMs to develop delivery schedules that take both local and systemic lessons through the full PDCA cycle
- Work proactively with business areas to manage and execute effective resource planning, ensuring PM effort is aligned to stated priorities across the portfolio.
- Own PM Service provision, introduce and manage a performance measurement framework and a PM service catalogue
- Build the PM capability through the identification of internal & external talent. ‘Grow your own’, where possible seeking opportunities to identify and develop fresh talent into the team
- Partner with the Heads of Portfolio to ensure they are confident in the quality of service delivered by the PM community and evolve the PM Community of Practice to leverage differential in performance (+ & -) and improve practices
- Actively contribute to the external PM community. Identify best practice approaches, discuss with peers in the wider PM community & embed this into the PM practice
- Where required, ‘step up’ to cover the Head of Change Delivery, running & contributing to Governance Forums as required. Similarly, ‘step across’ to cover the Business Analysis Practice Manager where necessary.
- Ensure compliance with Company Policies, Values and guidelines and other relevant standards/ regulations always.
- Any other reasonable duties
Experience & knowledge
- Experience of managing and developing a team of PM’s and change professionals, including developmental and performance management practices and techniques
- Extensive experience of change delivery within an agile delivery environment, including CI, Lean practices, and the application of agile project management tools and techniques
- Demonstrable experience of managing and influencing senior stakeholders around high-profile projects and programmes
- Ideally, an insurance or financial Services background, although other backgrounds will be considered
- Experience of facilitating operational change within a business unit, defining / re- engineering existing and new processes, and practices.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering multiple, concurrent change initiatives within a large, complex, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to explain approaches, concepts, and activities to non-technical audiences.
- Detailed knowledge of FCA requirements (including TCF).
- Knowledge and experience of managing a Strategic Portfolio of change
Skills & Qualifications
- Highly developed leadership and people management skills
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong workshop and meeting facilitation skills
- Formal Project Management qualification such as APMP, PRINCE2, Agile Project Management or equivalent
- MS Office / MS Project / SharePoint / Azure DevOps / Confluence / Hive PPM
- Commercially focussed and results driven
- Resilient, self-motivated, and enthusiastic
- Organised and pro-active
- Adaptive, flexible, and able to adopt appropriate management and leadership styles.
- Coaches, mentors, empowers, and motivates
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- The ability to work flexibly and under tight timescales
- Takes initiative to make decisions
- Strives to identify and drive business improvements
Are you the person we’re looking for? If so, we look forward to hearing from you. Apply today!
Want to know what it’s really like to work at First Central? Take a look at our Glassdoor reviews.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.