We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
Are you looking for a new career with a fast-growing, dynamic company? Well look no further! We need a UX Design Lead to join our Marketing team in either Salford Quays, Manchester, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, or working remotely.
You’ll be responsible for leading on and supporting First Central’s user experience strategy and execution. You’ll lead on the production of assets for the new business, in-life and retention customer journeys/user experiences across all First Central brands and products as required and in line with strategy. You’ll build out the creation of the UX function for the business and be the go-to subject matter expert for all UX requirements and a promoter of best practices.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Have proven and substantial experience in a senior level UX role
- Have experience working in Financial Services or similar regulated environment
- Have the ability to manage large and complex workloads
- Clearly define design problems to ensure teams are aligned to a common goal and able to work collaboratively to realise an effective outcome
- Understand user’s needs, business objectives and constraints to kick start the ideation process in the right direction, bringing about clarity and focus to the design
- Information Architecture (IA) expertise – able to define the structure, organise and label the content for a website, application or similar UX project in a sustainable and effective way that ensures users can find information and complete tasks with ease
- Produce prototypes and interactive design assets of varying fidelity to capture design concepts and test on users, continuously refining until ready for business/brand to launch with customers
- Lean UX expertise, able to lead collaborative process (such as a Design Sprint) with a large group of stakeholders to help team focus on “value” and kill features to define “MVP”
- UX copywriting to a limited degree only to support basic concept mock-ups/prototypes or to add copy provided by others into designs
- Conduct observational user research to understand user behaviours, needs and motivations and other feedback methodologies to improve the usability and guide design
- Creation and maintenance of a design system to improve the efficiency of the design process and assets for other stakeholders (e.g., business analysts, developers and future UX/design colleagues)
- Customer journey mapping to provide a visualisation of our customers’ relationship with our products and brands over time and across different channels
- Product knowledge – building an in depth understanding of the insurance industry, the market and competitors as well as the product you are working on at any given time.
- Lead and host UX workshops in collaboration with stakeholders to identify and solve problems to feed into the UX design process
- Conduct user research using various methodologies like user interviews, focus groups, card sorting, or whatever is appropriate to the research objective
- Good understanding of usability testing, heuristic evaluation, surveys, A:B and Multivariate testing (MVT), benchmarking and competitor evaluation
- Report writing based on the outputs of research and testing activities including production of customer personas and mental maps
- Able to produce accessibility-friendly design and carry out accessibility testing and auditing
- Knowledge of and application of the fundamental principles of visual design theory and the pros and cons of different approaches and implementations
Experience and knowledge
- Proven track record of success in a senior UX role
- Significant experience in insurance and financial services
- Understanding of regulatory environment and requirements (e.g., FCA and ASA).
- Knowledge of car insurance, home insurance and motor telematics insurance across direct and Price Comparison Website channels highly desirable
Skills and qualifications
- Someone that lives and breathes user experience, keeps up to date with the latest and best practices in UX
- Proven track record and experience in a digital insurance business that can identify UX gaps/opportunities and creative solutions to improve UX performance
- Expert use of UX tools and platforms such as Figma, Sketch and Invision
- Passionate about creating an outstanding user experience for customers
- Ability to work in a fast paced, agile environment – providing UX solutions at pace
- Influencing and negotiating skills
- Passionate about putting the customer at the centre of all activity
- Commercially aware and driven with a mentality to deliver results
- Highly collaborative with excellent stakeholder management skills
- Fantastic communication skills
- Project management, time management and coordination skills
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Strategic thinking
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.