We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We’re on the hunt for a talented Assistant Group Accountant to join our Finance team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex office.
This role will support the development and execution of the Group’s financial and regulatory accounting shared service function. You will be responsible for ensuring monthly accounting is prepared in line with policies and procedures ensuring financial information is representative of the business performance.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Be able to comfortably deal with multiple and conflicting time constraints
- Work methodically to deal with large amounts of data and busy spreadsheets
- Have strong communication skills and be able to liaise with multiple stakeholders of all levels
- Update balance sheet reconciliations, schedules and notes to ensure the monthly and annual accounts represent a true and fair view of the business performance
- Support the preparation and maintenance of monthly accruals and prepayments
- Prepare Office for National Statistics returns
- Perform key reconciliations across the balance sheet and cash flow transactions
- Support the preparation of key schedules required for direct and indirect tax
- Investigation of reconciliation deficiencies, ensuring appropriate escalation and business engagement is achieved
- Prepare schedules for the team in preparation of the Group’s audit, supporting the year-end audit process runs smoothly
- Supporting inter-company balancing, including monthly net downs and transfers
- Maintain working knowledge of applicable UK GAAP accounting policies
Skills, knowledge & experience
- ACCA/ACA or CIMA part-qualified or studying towards
- Proven part qualified accounting experience in an accounting function, book-keeping, double entry or audit environment or preferable industry knowledge of the financial services/regulated industry in the UK
- High level of oral and written communication, analytical and organisation skills collaborating effectively with senior managers, colleagues, internal and external stakeholders
- A driven attitude to deliver controlled change and rapidly overcome obstacles
- An agile approach to project management and able to rapidly react to changes in business priorities to take advantage of emerging business and customer opportunities.
- Work effectively under pressure and think clearly and logically in challenging situations
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic with an organised and proactive approach
- Taking responsibility for tasks and seeing them through to completion with great attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Flexible approach to work and adopts a positive attitude
- Embraces opportunities to develop and learn - shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
- Possess an inquisitive mind, and be able to identify anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Relish the challenge of working to tight deadlines and during periods of pressure
So, if you’re up for the challenge and would like to join our vibrant and busy team, we want to hear from you today.
Want to know what it’s really like to work at First Central? Take a look at our Glassdoor reviews.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.