We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scrum Master to join our Technology and Data team in our offices in either Salford Quays, Manchester, Haywards Heath, West Sussex, or Guernsey.
The Senior Scrum Master will own the technical implementation of our Agile processes across all technology areas (including BI and architecture) and will include owning the standardisation of the Agile process, in such areas as use of tools (ADO etc) to facilitate the timely delivery of development sprints. You will take guidance from the Product Owner (PO) on the business priorities to ensure all stakeholders are kept informed of development performance through provision of consistent and timely reporting.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to:
- Proven experience in a Scrum Master role for a software development team that applied Scrum principle’s, practices, and theory.
- Experience in helping an organisation adopt wider business agility.
- An excellent ability to coach team members and the wider business community in the application of agile principles.
Working with the Head of Technical Change Management and Agile Coach to implement an appropriate Agile development approach across all our development teams as well as working with the Product Owner to provide our customers with planning and administration of the iterative development of the Group’s core software applications.
Tasks to achieve these 2 responsibilities include:
- Design and document the remaining areas of the Agile development process applicable to our customers’ needs.
- Scheduling and facilitating (with PO) the scrum ceremonies.
- Removing impediments or guiding the team to remove them by finding the appropriate personnel.
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution.
- Work with the PO to ensure an adequate backlog is maintained.
- Work with the PO to ensure that the sprint content is always tailored to customer needs.
- Assist the PO in facilitating getting sprint work done without coercion or dictating the work.
- Assist the PO with internal and external communication, improving transparency.
- Own the company’s use of Team Foundation Server enhancing this to work for all areas whilst maintaining the basics of sprint management.
- Supporting the PO and in maintaining the product backlog within Azure Dev Ops.
- Ensuring that processes and practises are followed to manage estimates and priorities of the product backlog items and Tasks.
- Produce Sprint closedown reports showing progress against original sprint targets and explanations of differences.
- Report on performance of actual effort against estimates for Sprint items.
- Assessing the level of maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organisation.
- Building a trusting environment where problems can be raised with the emphasis of solving and root cause.
- Adhere to the Company values at all times and encourage others to demonstrate these.
- Ensure compliance with company and other relevant standards/regulations at all times.
- Responsibility for maintaining department risk registers (as applicable), providing evidence and commentary for controls, updates for Mitigation Actions and maintaining control matrices and Attestations.
- Also, where applicable, to ensure that your employees are aware of their responsibility to identify and report risk.
- Any other reasonable duties as required.
Experience, Knowledge & Qualifications
- Experience in a Scrum Master role or similar for a minimum of 5 years for a software development team that applied Scrum principles, practices, and theory.
- A good grounding of Agile principles.
- Solid experience in use of Azure Dev Ops.
- Experience of other Scrum processes such as Burndowns Retrospective etc.
- Experience with Agile techniques such as User Stories, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing etc.
- Applicable knowledge of the technologies used by the team.
- Empathetic towards the needs of a development team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of a structured yet agile approach to development.
- Knowledge of a service-based approach to technology, including component, service oriented and event driven architectures.
- Focused and results driven.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic.
- An organised and pro-active approach.
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team.
- A flexible approach and positive attitude.
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.