Data Product Owner
We’re a fast-growing Digital Insurance and Technology Company. We’re going through an exciting phase of growth, looking at new technologies, transition of data services and transformation. Are you looking for a new career with an award-winning, dynamic company? Well look no further! We need a Data Product Owner to join our Data Services Department team in either Salford Quays, Manchester, or Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
With a move away from large projects to smaller incremental delivery of change, the Data Product Owner plays a crucial role in the successful delivery of data change to the Group’s complex and broad enterprise, and potentially to other non-FCG customers. Leading the business to optimise the value for data, the Data Product Owner provides customer perspective and direction to the Agile data engineering and Visualisation Development teams and stakeholders, throughout the software development lifecycle.
The Data Product Owner will understand the commercial drivers of our customers and in conjunction with Business Services, translates those into the setting, prioritising and evaluation of work packages to be fed via the Senior Scrum Masters (SSM) into the Data Scrum teams to deliver new data services, extracts, dashboards and reports, building upon and leveraging the data platform.
The Data Product Owner will work alongside the Engineering and Visualisation Leads and Technical Product Owner, contributing to an effective change process. The job holder is expected to manage relationships at all levels, ranging from technical through to c-suite executives.
The Data Product Owner will also work with the Business and Project Management teams, Focus Development Lead and Architecture department to ensure all solution designs meet the overall goals of the customer and technology business (as opposed to the functional goals of the specific change).
To be successful in this role, you’ll need to have:
- Data product owner experience in a fast-paced, high volume change environment
- Data change delivery management experience in an Agile technical environment
- An Agile software development background, cloud infrastructure, cloud architecture and MS Stack Experience would be a bonus
Skills, knowledge & experience
- Provide vision and direction to the agile Data Engineering and Visualisation teams and stakeholders throughout the software development lifecycle
- Take responsibility for data change development work scheduling in line with priorities set by the Business Services team and work with the SSM on prioritisation of work going into the scrum teams
- Provide insight and guidance to Business Services to ensure the most efficient composition of Sprint content, working with the SSM to ensure we are maximising the use of our development capacity
- Plan and prioritise non-customer sponsored data product feature and technical debt backlogs and development of the data platform
- Assess value, develop cases, and prioritise stories, epics and themes for non-customer sponsored work to ensure this focuses on those features with maximum value that are aligned with both the customers’ business and our own product strategies
- Assist the SSM in providing backlog management and sprint planning
- Work with Business Services to create and maintain a data change backlog according to business value or ROI
- Review all solution designs to ensure appropriate level of design complexity for the perceived business benefit
- Manage expectations and communicate progress on development of changes requested and data deliveries to business services
- Maintain data change momentum and direction, delivering the agreed scope within the agreed timeframes and budgets
- Actively manage risks, issues and dependencies
- Matrix manage resources assigned to data change sprints
- Responsibility for maintaining department risk registers (as applicable), providing evidence and commentary for controls, updates for Mitigation Actions and maintaining control matrices and Attestations. Also, to ensure that your employees are aware of their responsibility to identify and report risk
- Experience of undertaking an equivalent role, with a focus on data and BI change
- Insurance business knowledge and the utilisation of data to support it
- Experience of operating within a data centric environment, playing a central role in helping the Business release value contained within its data
- Formal Agile Project Management, or equivalent
- Good broad technical experience, working with Agile software development teams
- Strong planning and control expertise
- Demonstratable leadership and people management skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Time management and organisation skills
- Workshop and meeting facilitation skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate risks and issues at all levels of the organisation
- Excellent Supplier and Stakeholder Management skills
What can we do for you?
- Knowledge of Agile development approaches
- Knowledge of insurance business and its drivers
- Understanding of Team Foundation Server
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide a weekly free fruit delivery, discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.
If you’d like to work for an award-winning employer in a fast-paced environment, apply now!
So, if you’re up for the challenge and would like to join our vibrant and busy team, we want to hear from you today.
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page
to see what our employees think about working here.