We’re First Central Insurance & Technology Group (First Central for short), an award-winning innovative insurance and technology organisation, delivering market-leading motor insurance, underwriting, distribution, finance, technology and legal services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Underwriter to join our Underwriting & Assurance team in Haywards Heath, West Sussex.
Although this role is based in Haywards Heath, First Central works on a hybrid model so this will primarily be based at home with occasional trips into the office.
The UW & Assurance Team are tasked with using analytics and insight to drive the ongoing optimization of the FCG underwriting footprint, monitoring of underwriting and pricing performance to support the delivery of profit and volume targets for the business, as well as owning FCG’s Underwriting Control Framework and ensuring regulatory compliance for the FCG Pricing and UW functions.
The Technical Underwriter will work under the guidance of the Senior Motor Underwriter to assist in optimising the FC Underwriting footprint. Drawing on analytics provided from within the team, the Technical Underwriter will provide input on Underwriting Footprint proposals and IT led projects. The Technical Underwriter will assist in maintaining the Underwriting Control Framework which includes Policy Wording and other Underwriting documentation. The Technical Underwriter will act as a conduit between customer facing staff and back office technical teams when responding to queries and customer complaints.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- Strong Communication skills and the ability to liaise with all level of stakeholder
- Experience working in Motor Insurance
- Ability to work well in a team and equally well on your own
- Working from the Underwriting & Assurance footprint documentation, conduct regular live testing of underwriting rules. Be responsible for the creation of a periodic testing programme which provides confirmation of effective functioning of rules on a regular basis.
- Provide technical underwriting support to the analytical/project work of the UW & Assurance Team and wider Pricing Department
- Assist in developing and maintaining detailed knowledge of emerging trends/technologies/available data within the personal lines Motor insurance market, providing consult and input into project work of the team and wider Pricing and UW department when required; including but not limited to:
- Hybrid and Electric Vehicles and associated technologies
- Autonomous vehicles and ADAS technologies.
- Emerging/periodic trends such as catalytic converter theft
- Use of data from other UW adjacent areas – eg counter fraud specific data sources such as the CIFAS database for UW/Pricing.
- Support in the ownership of FCG’s understanding and interpretation of upcoming, potential, and historic regulatory changes impacting the UW of the personal lines motor insurance market. Use knowledge to provide key insight and critique internally on topics including but not limited to
- Insurance market specific legislation referencing Pricing/UW – eg FCA market study
- Broader Insurance legislation – eg IDD, Consumer Insurance Act
- Broader legislation impacting insurance – EU/UK equalities legislation. GDPR,
- Support in the ownership FCG’s policy wordings and other relevant underwriting documentation ensuring changes are proposed and deployed in accordance with requirements from within the Underwriting and Assurance team or as part of wider topics such as regulatory change
- Develop and maintain relevant internal relationships pertaining to the above – eg Counter Fraud, Claims, Operational Teams etc
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant third parties pertaining to the above
- Assist in creating documented process for referrals to the Underwriting & Assurance Team, maintaining records of referral types and responses to ensure ongoing consistency
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders across the business, providing consult, and where required, input to projects requiring Underwriting representation
- Experience working in a relevant Technical UW or Product Management role for a Motor Personal Lines Insurer
- Knowledge of the UK Personal Lines Motor Insurance Market
- Knowledge of motor insurance products and the motor insurance industry
- Strong foundational knowledge in general insurance
- Broad knowledge and awareness of the regulatory environment pertaining to Pricing and UW for UK personal lines insurance market
- Strong commercial acumen
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to adopt a logical approach to solving problems
- Ability to interpret technical documents
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written to a variety of stakeholders
- Excellent time management and organisational skills
- Proven ability to produce outstanding results based on own initiative
- Demonstrable Behaviours of:
- Logical thinker with solid reasoning ability
- Commercially focused
- Emphasis on attention to detail and accuracy
- Quick learner
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- An organised and pro-active approach
- Aligned to the values of Ambition; Agility; Ownership; Collaboration
If this job sounds like the role you're looking for, apply today!
We pride ourselves on being a great place to work. Check out our Glassdoor page to see what our employees think about working here.
What can we do for you?
We believe we can offer you a great working environment as we’re so passionate about our people. Here are just some of the benefits and perks that we offer…
- Fantastic training and development opportunities
- Employee benefit packages to suit your lifestyle
- Flexible working
- YOUday – we give you an extra day off to celebrate a special day
- The opportunity to take a paid day off each year to do charity work
- A health cash plan
- Help with travel expenses
- The opportunity to buy additional holiday
- Company pension scheme
- Group life assurance
- Enhanced maternity and paternity pay
- Professional subscription fees paid
Employee wellbeing is high on the agenda here too. We provide discounted membership at a local health club and access to an Employee Assistance Programme, which promotes physical and emotional wellbeing at work and at home. In addition, we provide wellbeing events throughout the year to support physical and mental health.
For further information on what we can offer and to learn more about this role, feel free to contact our dedicated Recruitment team.